Wednesday, June 1, 2016

hp z4000 wireless mouse review




















We’ve been talking about touch a lot. On your smartphone and tablet. Your TouchSmart desktops…and more recently, laptops. Sometimes, though, a mouse is still the best way to get around your computer. For some, a mouse is still the quickest way to edit documents (or play StarCraft II). How about a barely-there mouse that looks so nice you’d actually want to have it sit on your desk – even when you’re not using it? That’s the HP Z4000.

It’s a slim-profiled peripheral that is actually made for travel, but fits in equally well wherever you’ve got a PC that needs mousin’ around. Measuring less than 13mm, it’s easy to stow. There’s no driver-searching / software-installing involved either. Pop up the hood for quick access to the two AA batteries and the dongle. Yep, you need a free USB port to connect it up, but besides that you’re quickly in business with the Z4000. (One nice thing about HP’s Link-5 dongle: It can pair with up to five other HP peripherals – like keyboards – so you only need to occupy a single USB slot for multiple devices. That’s a BIG bonus if you’re using some minimal-USB device like a small Ultrabook).

The two-tone black-and silver mouse looks good, but it feels great. The glossy top on my test unit doesn’t track too much in the way of fingerprints. Even after my dreaded “Cheetos” test. There’s a slight curve that rolls around the side coated with a soft-touch, satin-y feel. The mouse is also set up neutrally so that you’re good to go even if you’re a southpaw. The rubber mouse wheel has that satisfying click when scrolling – but that’s a personal thing. Some love the smooth-scrolling mouse wheel-stylie. 

The real test is how it feels when you’re using it. In this case, I barely even noticed it there – like I said up top. Now, mind you, I have basketball-palming-sized mitts, but as I rested my hand naturally on the table, the mouse is a slight wedge underneath. In fact, I was reading a long form article with my hand resting on the Z4000 and I totally forgot I had the mouse there. Seriously.

So, that’s a small victory, right?

Other things that you’d probably like to know: The Z4000, powered by a pair of AAs will last you for about 18 months. If you want me to confirm that, you'll have to check back with me sometime in the summer of 2014. Besides the size and shape, the battery life makes this is a solid travel companion. The other point – it costs $30.

The advice I give to people – especially folks getting something like a mouse – is that it’s a very personal thing. The best one is what feels good and works for you. So keep an eye out for this guy at your local store and if you get a chance, lay your hands upon one.

No comments:

Post a Comment